Author Topic: Joker (Todd Phillips, 2019)  (Read 803 times)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
Re: Joker (Todd Phillips, 2019)
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 12:27:PM »
On my second vieweing of Joker, I noticed one specific line that Arthur Fleck says at the Murray show.

Once he embraces his inner Joker completely, Arthur makes the Knock Knock joke about the woman's kid dying and people go "Oooo". Murray then says something similar to "Can't joke about death...". Arthur replies"Humour is subjective." And then he says this to the audience: "You guys decide what is right and what is wrong. Similarly, you decide what is funny and what is not".

When I heard this time, I realized that Fleck is now completely transformed into the Joker we know. He has no moral compass of right and wrong. It doesn't mean anything to him, it doesn't matter to him. All that matters to him is "Is it funny, or not?"
Whether it is to kill, maim, or to produce a gun with a BANG flag when he himself is being beaten up, it's not about winning or losing or getting caught or getting away with anything. It is just about being funny or not.
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 12:29:AM »
Here's an excellent, but short, talk on the movie by the director Todd Phillips after the DGA screening of the movie.

Two links to the same podcast episode:
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 01:15:PM »
Attending Joker on a Friday night in a fully booked cinema, I have never felt so lonely watching a movie. I felt I was the only one who is kept at an arm's length with this one, while everyone around me in a a hall that was perhaps 75%  occupied by men in their 20s or 30s.

Let's start by what I think the film did well. Joaquin Phoenix obviously knocked it out of the park with a performance that is guaranteed a place in the list of the greatest performances of the year. Whether his or Heath Ledger's is the better Joker is something time will decide, but I know where I stand personally (I will give you a hint; not with this one). I loved the world building, the cinematography, the recreation of early 80s New York (I mean Gotham 😉), and especially the haunting score. What did I dislike? I am not really sure. I only know this one did not move me as as I think it should have, and by the end of the film, everyone around me was clapping and cheering, while I was left cold, and I could not have ran out of the screen fast enough.

So I kinda understand other people especially men loving this film, but I don't, and for me this is one of the most overrated films of the year, perhaps of many years. Many people tried to persuade to give it another look, but I don't really have the urge to rewatch any time soon.

My Rating: ★★★