Author Topic: Avengers: Endgame (Russo Brothers, 2019)  (Read 276 times)

Offline PUP

• m. night shyamalan
  • Passive Until Provoked
    • Filmphoria
Re: Avengers: Endgame (Russo Brothers, 2019)
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2019, 01:21:PM »
Woah Shariq...how many times have you seen End Game already?!?
Thanks for all the answers. Yeah, Cap's time travel is a bit head scratchy. End Game has clearly rewritten some of the rules in the time travelling paradox. In previous films (I think Time Cop) a character cannot touch his/her duplicate from another timeline. But Cap fights Cap and both survive. 

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2019, 01:56:PM »

Twice for now. Hopefully once more before Ramadan starts :)

Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2019, 04:26:PM »
Thanks for all the answers. Yeah, Cap's time travel is a bit head scratchy. End Game has clearly rewritten some of the rules in the time travelling paradox. In previous films (I think Time Cop) a character cannot touch his/her duplicate from another timeline. But Cap fights Cap and both survive. 

And whadda fight! "I can do this all day" "I know, I know...!" 😂

When prepping for the time-travel test, Banner and Nebula tell Antman and War Machine about how Time Travel is wrong in all the movies (even Hot Tub Time Machine!). So comparing the rules within this movie to the rules of other movies is out. But even so, many of the questions are about the rules set within this movie... like requiring Pym Particles AND a Space-Time GPS to time travel, but Thanos' ship does it nevertheless.
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 11:33:PM »

For those of us who grew up on the comics, what happened was less time travel and more dimension travel (i.e. acknowledging the existence of parallel universes) that also allowed you to choose which point in time you wanted to land in that dimension (hence the analogy of a GPS, since they are specific and coordinates based). If I continue with that analogy, one coordinate is time and the other is a place i.e. another, parallel universe. While this concept doesn't really make sense (from a reality and possibly scientific point of view), because movies and general wisdom has conditioned us to think otherwise, in both Marvel and DC, this is accepted as a valid concept. It is for this reason that the conventional universe in Marvel is labelled Earth 616 and every other dimension (in what is referred to as the multi-verse) is not part of continuity and therefore anything could happen to them. This is exactly what happens in the movie - we follow the events of the comic book equivalent of Earth 616 and every other "time" that they travel to is in fact a universe parallel to 616, which may lose its bearings due to interference, but that doesn't matter.

Also, Endgame isn't even the first Marvel film to employ (and acknowledge) this concept in a conventional film. Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse already did this by establishing the existence of multiple timelines (though that film itself isn't based in the normal MCU continuity).
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2019, 09:13:AM »
Of the many awesome call-backs this movie has, I didn't realize one more until it was pointed out to me:

When Captain America first hears Falcon that starts the "Avengers Assemble" sequence, Falcon says "On your left".
This is the same thing that Captain tells Falcon while lapping him during the morning jog at the start of Winter Soldier!

I feel dumb for not having recognized this, considering how high Winter Soldier is in my MCU list.