Author Topic: Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (Chantal Akerman, 1975)  (Read 122 times)

Offline Rishi

• wm citizen
  • steven soderbergh
  • "They told me you're a man with True Grit"

This is a film that has had a profound impact on me like no other in the recent past. It has been a few months since I watched and I can’t help but think about it from time to time. Akerman was just 25 when she made this experimental film which subverted all existing norms of film narrative at that time and brought about something that was daring and radical. Her efforts in many ways draws comparisons to Orson Welles and Citizen Kane, though this one wasn’t her debut feature. The plot, if it can be called that, revolves around a middle aged woman and her daily regimental routine of maintaining her house and tending to her school going teenage son. Though pretty much nothing happens for most part of the film, Akerman technique draws the viewer in to the house and life of the lead character in such a way where we feel we are part of it. Midway through the film, the lead character makes a rare misstep, which turns out to be one of the most terrifying moments one has experienced on screen. That is the level of immersion that Akerman succeeds in accomplishing from the viewer. An unforgettable experience and worth the 3 hours 20 minutes that you would invest in it.

5/5
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:09:PM by shariqq »