Author Topic: mother! (Darren Aronofsky, 2017)  (Read 1191 times)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
mother! (Darren Aronofsky, 2017)
« on: August 09, 2017, 11:41:AM »
Mother!
15 September

Directed by: Darren Aronofsky
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer

Premise: Centers on a couple whose relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence.
Thoughts: The artists impression of Jennifer Lawrence with a cut in her torso and holding her bloody (anatomically correct) heart in her hands – what better way to convey the mood of Arnofsky’s new movie. The premise lends little understanding of the title or that poster, but trust the director to give you another masterpiece that will be dark (in theme), and obsessive.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:40:PM by kaytee »
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
Re: Mother! (Darren Aronofsky, 2017)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 11:44:AM »
Trailer:

Oooh, that looks crazy! He's done psychological horror in Pi and Black Swan, and this looks in the same flavour. In fact, we can already see his obsession theme in the way JLaw is about her house.

Considering his movies are usually Hard R, there's little chance of us getting to watch this before DIFF :(
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:50:AM »
New poster. Good theme too, a pretty porcelain doll that's beginning to crack.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 12:55:PM »
Posting this here for relevance.

Martin Scorsese has written a guest column at Hollywood Reporter about the vile reactions Mother! got.
His article is less about the movie, more about how movies are now pulled down and shredded.

Martin Scorsese on Rotten Tomatoes, Box Office Obsession and Why 'Mother!' Was Misjudged (Guest Column)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/martin-scorsese-rotten-tomatoes-box-office-obsession-why-mother-was-misjudged-guest-column-1047286

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 01:11:PM »
This is an article I have bookmarked to read after watching the movie. Considering the movie is in release now, putting it here if anyone interested in reading it.

What the F? How Mother! joined the 'bad movie' club by Peter Bradshaw

In context, Peter Bradshaw has given Mother! 5 stars in his review.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 09:23:PM »

mother! is preposterous (not unlike Black Swan) but must be seen. The story of a childless woman renovating a restored house with her writer husband, she is irked when unannounced visitors arrive. First a man, who appears to be lost and needs shelter but is, in reality, an admirer of her husband and then his wife. Things from there get more strange. But that’s isn’t why this film exists, at least not yet - these characters serve as mere catalysts but are also, strangely, allegorical - more on that later.

mother! has some interesting things going for it - not the least of which is its extraordinary sound design. Every footstep made by Lawrence walking barefoot on the wooden floor is not just heard, it reverberates. The doors open with a creak, the abrasiveness of wooden planks on the walls seem to squeak and speak. It really must be heard in the solitude of an empty cinema to grasp just how well thought and remarkable it really is, helping you get into the mood and mind of the main character. All of this adds up to a rather absorbing two thirds, that is until Aranofsky goes bonkers and gives us the ultimate end of the world climax.

Frankly, the ambitions are great, but mother!, when compared to something as recent as Melancholia for example feels like the work of someone trying too hard. Melancholia by comparison was first and foremost about two sisters, their relationship and how one of them had to deal with depression. It felt like a real story, not just a figurative allegory. Lobster is another great example of a film that feels true, has substance but is also allegorical of what it is trying to portray. Even the house as a character trick (Del Toro’s recent failure Crimson Peak for e.g.), is literal - the house really is a character, complete with a heart (huh?).

mother! is provocative by design because its meant to be. But its also clumsy. Like Black Swan, its more of an experience that’s both good and bad - shocking but also loony in its ardent desire to go…all the way. It's too loud in its brash allegories and somewhat insane. If I was younger, I’d be fascinated by it, but now, at this age, when life has enough mysteries without needing special effects and gonzo storytelling, I just didn’t care. Love it or hate it (I’m somewhere in the middle), mother!, for all its daring (I wouldn’t necessarily call it visionary) demands to be seen and then…if you feel like it…possibly discussed. Sensational. I hate that word. But yes that is what mother! ultimately becomes by its extreme and excessive (almost ridiculously in your face) third act. I liked it till then. I did not like it after that.

Rating: 3/5
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:18:PM »
I loved this preposterous absolutely audacious movie. If you thought The Fountain was bonkers then mother! is on another level. Aronofsky goes from 10 mph to 200 mph pretty lethargically but once he hits 200 mph the thrill is exhilarating. I absolutely loved the last act, there are plenty of allegories to look out for infact the movie from start to finish is one big allegory. The only thing I need to read about is that yellow potion she keeps having.

Easily one of the best films I have seen this year.
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:23:PM »
So Fizz - what was the yellow stuff she keeps drinking?

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 10:32:PM »
I really don't know, but notice - the paste on the walls (to fix it before painting) and the colour of the rug (to hide the bleeding floor) are different shades of the same yellow hue (and serve the same purpose - to cure).

mother therefore is the house. The house is also mother. She is mother Earth. The house is Earth (I'm not kidding).
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 10:38:PM »
Also, I think Aranofsky is ruining cinema (in some ways). His work seems imaginative and provocative, but it screams for attention. Again, I'm not taking a dump at him but he really needs to exercise some restraint because there is absolutely no nuance to what he is doing anymore. You can show and tell or you can show only enough and let it be inferred. My thoughts on this film are not firm but I don't dislike it. I admire the audacity, but audacity alone is no reason to love something. From the sounds of it, you and I had the opposite reaction. I think the film was better before it let go. When it let go, it was with a childlike affinity for obvious metaphors. So many, but so passe.

Again, and I predict, Shariq will LOVE this. It appeals to him (and probably you).

It doesn't to me.

Offline ozzylogic

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • Coppertop
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 12:38:PM »
So Fizz - what was the yellow stuff she keeps drinking?

Is the film related to golden showers?
"I hate to disappoint you, but rubber lips are immune to your charms."

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 01:49:PM »
By the way, the film title is mother! with a lowercase m. is it pretentious bullshit or does it have significance?

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
Re: mother! (Darren Aronofsky, 2017)
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 08:52:PM »
SPOILERS AHEAD

mother therefore is the house. The house is also mother. She is mother Earth. The house is Earth (I'm not kidding).

Yes the house is earth infact one of the house guest also says to the hole in the floor that it’s so “organic” when I think they were taking a picture of it.

The diamond is the forbidden fruit which eventually Eve breaks. I love the way how the movie started and ended as well. God is trying to make the perfect world and keeps failing.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 09:31:PM »
Some of it was so obvious I was groaning. Like a kid who made a parable of Adam, Eve, God, Earth, forbidden fruit, Heaven, Hell, the apocalypse etc. Too on the nose for me frankly. As one reviewer said - it felt like a bible parody at times.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 09:36:PM »
By the way, the film title is mother! with a lowercase m. is it pretentious bullshit or does it have significance?

Absolutely fucking pretentious. Like a 16 year old Tim Burton explain his self-indulgant art project to a class that doesn't care, here is the "explanation" from the director himself:

“To find out why there's a lowercase ‘m’, read the credits and look for the letter that isn't capitalised,” he wrote. “Ask yourself what’s another name for this character?”

Get it? See? He's so smart!

There's even more of these "do you get it?" explanation from the director (which sound painful to read coming from a grown man):

the shrieky title “reflects the spirit of the film. The film kind of has an exclamation point; at the end of it, there’s a big exclamation point. So I think the title was just a bit better that way.”