Author Topic: Blade Runner 2049 (Dennis Villeneuve, 2017)  (Read 1598 times)

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Dennis Villeneuve, 2017)
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2017, 01:16:AM »
And there's more to this wildly fascinating film, with regards to Joi and her significance.

I noticed she would tell K exactly what he needed to hear. You are special, born not made. She plants those thoughts for the first time in his mind that make him think he might be the son. She does this because she has heard the same story of his childhood played out with the date and makes the connection to the date in the tree. Machine learning.

Very maternally, she also gives him a name. Joe. Just like Joi but with a difference.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2017, 02:31:PM »
Ok, so whose Eye was it at the beginning of the movie? The extreme close-up that we see. Similar to the original.
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2017, 09:36:PM »
In the original, it belonged to the first Blade Runner that interviews Leon. This makes sense because he is the first person we see.

In the sequel, by that extension, it was either K or Sapper Morton.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2017, 09:45:PM »
In the original, it belonged to the first Blade Runner that interviews Leon. This makes sense because he is the first person we see.

In the sequel, by that extension, it was either K or Sapper Morton.

Original, yeah. We see the reflection of the fires in the eye, and the first time we see the first Blade Runner he is looking out the window. So it is presented in-film that it is his eye.

For the sequel, the first time we see K, he's asleep (so eyes are closed). The first time we see Sapper, he's in a biohazard suit. So it just doesn't fit to be either of their eye.
I'd like to see a freeze-frame of the eye once the movie is out on home video. We'll probably get a clue from the reflection in the eye.
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2017, 09:55:PM »
Good point...K was sleeping so doesn't make sense for it to be him. I honestly think it was done as a homage with no real thought...but the more we think about the film (or read about it) the more it becomes clear that the films choices were not random, so this shouldn't be either.

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2017, 07:53:AM »
It must be an homage to Rachel coz the eye they show was green. Isn't it?

So someone on a podcast mentioned what's the point of the movie when there is no conclusion. What is the significance of Deckard meeting his daughter?
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2017, 10:23:AM »
It could be Rachel's, or it could be her daughter's (same eye colour?) -- the daughter opening her eyes to this new world. In fact, I think that fits best. A new type of being (natural born replicant) opening her eyes. We'll know for sure over a few rewatches.

The part about the no-conclusion, I don't think they read the movie right. The movie is not about how the world has changed or will change. It is not about what Deckard's daughter will now do/cause in this world. That is just the world the story is set in. The main story and journey is of K. The movie begins with him waking up, and ends with him fulfilling *his* journey. The first and last shots of the movie are artistic choices, as well as our entry and exit from this world where K's story is set.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2017, 09:58:PM »
How is Deckard meeting his daughter (finally!) not a conclusion? I also don't understand people being so harsh on this film - like it owes them something and had to be smarter or more intellectually stimulating than it already was.

Offline ozzylogic

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • Coppertop
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2017, 10:26:AM »
How is Deckard meeting his daughter (finally!) not a conclusion? I also don't understand people being so harsh on this film - like it owes them something and had to be smarter or more intellectually stimulating than it already was.

+100 FFS

Are people just getting dumber now? It didn't do well in its opening week, which was surprising. I was trying to recall the best movies I've watched this year and this film is right up in the top 5 (it's not a very long list).
"I hate to disappoint you, but rubber lips are immune to your charms."

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2017, 04:41:PM »
This movie is going to age incredibly well.
That is because all those landscapes we see, aren't CGI! They're actual (LARGE) miniatures shot with camera composited into the shots. So it won't ever look like dated special effects.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2017, 09:49:PM »
I saw that VDO posted by someone else on my FB feed and remember thinking the same thing. There is no way CGI will ever compete with REAL sets (or in this case, miniatures). The finished effect just shows. CGI is the lazy way out and it just looks ugly most of the time.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2017, 10:58:PM »
My job is to make movies, not sell movies.

Denis on BR2k49's commercial failure.

And that ladies and gentlemen is why this man will forever make great films.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2017, 11:09:PM »
Another question answered, courtesy of the director himself (you can tell I'm infatuated by this film can't you?):

“It’s a lyrical journey that starts with an eye opening,” said Villeneuve, who revealed that the eye belongs to Ana. “She awakens like a princess living in a glass castle.”

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2017, 11:20:AM »

How Villeneuve got rid of Ridley Scott from set.

He came on set one day and after a few minutes standing behind me, it was unbearable. I made a joke, I said to him, 'Hey Ridley, who is your favourite director?' And he said, 'I love Ingmar Bergman and Kubrick.' I said 'I love Bergman too. So Ridley, how would you feel if you were on set and you had Bergman just behind you?' And he burst out laughing and he walked off the set. Because I was trying to direct Harrison Ford and I was like, 'Nope, it doesn't work.'