Author Topic: Blade Runner 2049 (Dennis Villeneuve, 2017)  (Read 1601 times)

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Dennis Villeneuve, 2017)
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2017, 02:27:PM »
Nice...that makes me miss DVD's with director commentaries!

They still put special features and commentaries on digital sales of iTunes. This one is a film I can't wait to acquire once is released for home viewing. It's really not a movie you watch once and forget about it.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 12:11:AM »
So, even though Galatian is a word, it isn't any known illness. It, in fact, is the name of one of the books of the New Testament.

http://www.crosswalk.com/culture/movies/blade-runner-2049-christian-movie-review.html

There's a brief reference to a "Galatians Syndrome" that remains cryptic, but it's worth considering why the name of that particular epistle was chosen, especially for a book that defines the fruit of the Spirit, emphasizes grace, and proclaims in chapter 3, verse 28: "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline ozzylogic

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • Coppertop
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 07:56:AM »
I fucking loved this film.
"I hate to disappoint you, but rubber lips are immune to your charms."

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2017, 10:16:AM »
Now that you guys rewatch it. I do think the censored parts are important, don't you? For instance, why was Wallace so disappointed at the newly "born" android and subsequently killed him? Mariette the prostitute android do you think she has more scenes that were cut out, or is her role limited to the love making scene, then the rescue scene?

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2017, 10:42:AM »
Now that you guys rewatch it. I do think the censored parts are important, don't you?

So those scenes were censored where you watched it too?
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2017, 11:53:AM »
Now that you guys rewatch it. I do think the censored parts are important, don't you?

So those scenes were censored where you watched it too?

Yup! Egypt is no better than the UAE.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2017, 09:25:PM »
Wallace was disappointed that the newly birthed angel he checked out was born without the ability to conceive.

Listening to the soundtrack, the scene where Marienette merges with Joi (fascinatingly kinky) should be about 3 minutes long but we only saw a minute of it. I think she only had those 3 scenes, which was made very good use of her as a pleasure bot ala Daryl Hannah's Pris.

There is either an entire line of dialogue or a worse, an entire scene, that was cut where K and Joshi talk about souls in humans and how K doesn't have one. I only came across this rather important exchange in a few reviews that referenced it, but we never heard this in Dubai. We did however see the scene where Joshi and K have a rather candid discussion about his memory followed by her sort of hitting on him but not sure where this dialogue might have been placed because that scene did not have any snips.

Other than that, the usual nudity of Replicants in production when K first visits Luv at the Wallace temple were zoomed in, so we knew the scene was being mutilated by censorship but at least we heard the dialogues...
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2017, 10:31:PM »
Also, BR: The final cut used the words "robot" in the opening scrawl, compared to the sequels use of the word "bio engineered" which means something....completely different.

Early in the 21st Century, The Tyrell Corporation advanced Robot evolution into the NEXUS phase - a being virtually identical to human - known as Replicant.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2017, 10:37:PM »
How they created Rachel

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-blade-runner-2049-resurrected-that-character-f/1100-6453912/

Short answer: Sean Young was directly involved and the effects took a year to perfect...

Extract:

Once it was all shot, Villeneuve handed it to a VFX company that worked full time for an entire year to make Rachael look like Rachael. The director said he was especially worried about this process thanks to some other recent examples that looked less than stellar, including Carrie Fisher's Princess Leia and Peter Cushing's Tarkin being recreated in the Star Wars movie Rogue One.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2017, 11:21:PM »
How they created Rachel

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-blade-runner-2049-resurrected-that-character-f/1100-6453912/

Short answer: Sean Young was directly involved and the effects took a year to perfect...

This was fantastic on screen. Much better than any other version of face re-creation we have seen, including the ghastly young Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy, and also younger versions of Michael Douglas and RDJ in Ant-Man and Civil War (respectively). The care with which it was done here, it looked completely real.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2017, 09:10:AM »
How they created Rachel

This was fantastic on screen. Much better than any other version of face re-creation we have seen, including the ghastly young Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy, and also younger versions of Michael Douglas and RDJ in Ant-Man and Civil War (respectively). The care with which it was done here, it looked completely real.

All those examples you mentioned were horrible to view and utterly distracting. That's the one thing that I didn't feel about the Rachel moment. It didn't take me suddenly out of the film. Looked as realistic as...a replicant!

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2017, 04:17:PM »
So does Wallace have god complex or just pissed off that he cant make a fertile replicant similar to what Tyrell made with Rachel?

Joi is not self learning machine but is fulfilling K's fantasies, thus when Joi tells him to download her to the wireless stick its K who wants to do that or at least that's what I thought of it.
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2017, 06:03:PM »
So does Wallace have god complex or just pissed off that he cant make a fertile replicant similar to what Tyrell made with Rachel?

Both would be true of Wallace.
- His god complex shows when he talks about Luv as the best Angel (Gabriel?).
- He is pissed off, because he thinks of himself as a God, but is unable to replicate what Tyrell has built decades ago (a birth giving Replicant). And he wants to create one not just for experiment (like Tyrell did), but to have millions of a disposable workforce.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2017, 06:10:PM »
Joi is not self learning machine but is fulfilling K's fantasies, thus when Joi tells him to download her to the wireless stick its K who wants to do that or at least that's what I thought of it.

I don't think this is the case. Because that would mean Joi (the A.I.) has mind-reading capabilities. Giving that level of advancement to one product, but not to any other Wallace product seems... out of place.

I read those scenes between K and Joi thus, K *knows* that Joi isn't real. But he longs for a relationship. And the first time he begins to forget she isn't real is the end of the Rain scene, where she freezes for the incoming message. But with more personal connect over time, I think he eventually starts accepting her as a real companion. Inspiration from her sacrifice, and equally, revenge for her murder are the reasons he goes after Deckard and Luv, respectively.

I also think Joi is self-learning because this movie asks the next question to what the original asks: Human vs Android, is now extended to Human vs Bio-Engineered Human vs Digital Assistant.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2017, 01:06:AM »

Joi is most certainly capable of machine learning and does, displaying characteristics of this throughout the film. For e.g. she is "aware" that the emanater allows her to be free from the confines of K's home and become more portable. Similarly, she understands what K wants. Watching the film a second time and knowing that the device ringing meant Joi was trying to call K, I was acutely aware of the situations where this would happen e.g. when Joshi hits on K, the device rings. Joi is trying to interrupt. She is self-aware, listening in on the conversation and does not want it to continue. The same thing happens when the hookers start hassling K while he is eating. She calls, but K never responds. Later she tells him "I knew you liked her...". She arranges for the rendezvous with Marienette because she understands (i.e. learns) that K probably wants a physical bond and not just an emotional one...all traits of having learned this about her companion and giving him what he desires. Finally, in the end, Joi seemingly sacrifices herself when she attempts to intervene in the fight between Luv and K. She knows that all her being is on a portable device and any damage to it would possibly destroy her, but she does what she has to do because she has "learned" to love K. I had no problem at all believing any of this. She is a machine, programmed to love and provide companionship. She is rational and perhaps hasn't been taught fear. She loves K because she has been "taught" to love the owner, but while she understands the consequences of becoming portable she doesn't "fear" death because it's not part of her programming.

It's not inconceivable, in fact, should not be. If in 2017 Siri can be taught to pronounce a foreign name correctly (she does mine because I have "taught" her) for Joi to understand what K likes/desires in 2049 shouldn't be that hard to imagine or accept.