Author Topic: Justice League (Zack Snyder, 2017)  (Read 676 times)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
Re: Justice League (Zack Snyder, 2017)
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 05:45:PM »
For what it is worth, I'd rate this movie 3rd of the 3 Snyder movies. BvS > MoS > JL
I guess the rest of you should read this list the other way!
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline PUP

• m. night shyamalan
  • Passive Until Provoked
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2017, 11:28:AM »
I like the consistency -- you've given all three Snyder movies 2 stars  ;D

Only the last two. With Man of Steel I gave it 3/5. Which is why I feel it's the best in the trilogy.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2017, 09:40:PM »
The rush-job in the CGI for the reshoot scenes are quite obvious, especially the moustache-removal they did. And the final battle CGI (which rumour says was changed in colour tone). But that aside, the film is a solid piece of entertainment. Second time, I enjoyed it even more. The film has so many hero moments, that it completely works as a straight-up punch-down superhero movie.

The Prologue (Batman sequence) and the title sequence are especially good. Steppenwolf's attack of Theymescyra (This is not a spoiler, it's in the trailers), is superbly choreographed as an action sequence. And to TOP it all, Superman is kickass good.

When I watched the movie today, the cinema was packed -- this is VOX MAX 2 at Mirdif CC. Aquaman literally got wolf-whistles! Mithun will attest to this, he was with me. And the amount of applause the audience gave at two key Superman moments gave me goosebumps.

I enjoyed this movie so much the second time round. Just ignore all the naysayers. Watch the movie, enjoy it for all the awesomeness it has. This is a movie I'll gladly watch many times over the years. Totally worth the wait!
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2017, 09:45:PM »
When is the movie coming on 4K bluray?!!!
I wanna watch the first 30mins of the movie again and again! Especially that haunting title sequence set to Sigrid's Everybody Knows, including the xenophobic imagery. Wow.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2017, 10:33:PM »
The only compliment I can give this film is that it didn't bore me. Parts of it were entertaining, but the longer it went, the less coherent it became. There are many, many problems with it. Even those who purport to "love" it (more on that later) can't deny that the tone is off. It is serious, then funny, then loud, then intense, then serious again. The work of one director trying to salvage the work of another is clear and evident. There are two types of films amalgamated together. The bad, really awful CGI work is absolutely appalling. I don't understand why a character like Steppenwolf who can be made to look perfectly human-like, played by someone human (somewhere behind all the faecal CGI) is made to look like a caked villain from the power rangers TV show with 2 ice cream cones stuck on his chin. This is unacceptable in a film with the kind of star power and budget that Justice League has behind it. Audiences accept this because it is made by someone whose filmmaking style overlaps with the tastelessness of the general masses.

Justice League has been compared to Avengers which is fair in someways, but the real benchmark is DC's very own films. When a storyline that brings together characters we've very recently seen in some  of the most iconic films of the genre come together, we should expect the sum to be greater than the parts. This is a given. Justice League isn't even half as good as either one of the Nolan Batman films or the Singer Superman treatment and its got 4 more heroes apart from them. The messiness extends to the action scenes. Was I the only one who kept confusing  Cyborg (the lamest of all the heroes introduced - a total cardboard) with the parademons (both have glowing faces and chests) during the fight underground? The visuals continue to glorify gimmicky approaches (like slo-mo better left in music videos) to tell a "story". They have no purpose in film, but are overused here because its part of the directors arsenal and the visual language employed by the filmmakers to appeal to whatever demographic thinks this film is great.

On a final note. There is nothing, nothing that can salvage this except for a reboot. I am convinced that even if James Cameron did the next film, nothing short of a total re-casting and re-assembly of the production crew would fix this. Danny Elfman's appearance here along with Whedon's is merely the proverbial bandage on a bullet wound. The casting is mostly wrong. Ben Affleck is an embarrassment as Bruce Wayne. The less said about Henry Cavill, the better. He neither has charisma nor the acting chops of his predecessors. Those two are just part of an equation that needs to be completely ditched. I can understand people are "excited" to see characters that they've wished to see together on screen, but that excitement shouldn't merely convert to liking the film for that reason alone. It is unfathomable to me that anyone with an objective, rational, thinking mind should ever settle for this as being "good". It simply isn't.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2017, 11:57:AM »
I can understand people are "excited" to see characters that they've wished to see together on screen, but that excitement shouldn't merely convert to liking the film for that reason alone.

Let a guy have his fun while it lasts, man. (I hope it lasts!)

Quite a bit of the movie hits the right spots for me, so I enjoyed it. It's like having those nachos with cheese and cheese (and man, this movie is cheesy). I know it ain't healthy and I can't recommend it. But man, it's feel good for now.

Yeah, there's no way I can objectively call this a good movie, and it ain't. It is a tonal mess, you can see the proverbial "Too many cooks" splattering the screen while watching it. JL is basically splintered scenes given the thook-patti (spit & stick?) treatment. But many of those individual scenes really worked for me, and the sum of the fun I had in those was enough to override the complaints I had with the overall movie. It helps that I really like BvS (objectively), and that I also like Batfleck and CavillMan -- considering they are pivotal to this movie's enjoyment.

I place this movie on my Guilty Pleasure list (alongside the timeless classic Mutant Chronicles). BvS is a movie I genuinely like and love (regardless of popular opinion). JL... lemme ride the high, you guys. And I ain't looking forward to the hangover  :embarassed:

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2017, 12:01:PM »
Btw, my superhero movies ranking for this year:
1) Logan
2) Wonder Woman
3) Thor Ragnarok
4) Justice League
5) Spiderman: Homecoming
9) GotG vol. 2

Offline ozzylogic

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • Coppertop
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2017, 02:22:PM »
1) Logan
2) Wonder Woman
3) Thor Ragnarok
4) Justice League
9) GotG vol. 2

I reckon Logan is number one for all of us on this thread.
"I hate to disappoint you, but rubber lips are immune to your charms."

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2017, 10:53:PM »
I place this movie on my Guilty Pleasure list

And that's the problem with it. It shouldn't be a guilty pleasure. It should knock you out with great (not distracting) special effects, a villain whose claims you can take seriously and whose plan for world domination doesn't include lining 3 ancient boxes together (for what? who knows....). It should be every bit as good as Avengers, if not more. It has the characters that define the word Superhero and an iconic set of films to build on. If only WB didn't get distracted with franchise building and took some risks. Anyway, it's over now. Time to move on. Next reboot please.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2017, 10:56:PM »
1) Logan
2) Wonder Woman
3) Thor Ragnarok
4) Justice League
9) GotG vol. 2

I am quite convinced that Logan is possibly the GREATEST standalone superhero film made to date. It will be hard to top it because no one wants to kill their characters. I pity the actor who has to ever fill Jackman's shoes.

I agree with Wonder Woman as runner-up too. JL reminded me how tremendously focused Patty Jenkins was as a singular storyteller and how she gracefully used the character (except the terribly messy ending).

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2018, 11:30:AM »

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2018, 12:00:PM »
Justice League is not the hot mess that was Batman V Superman, and thankful not nearly as long, but it’s also a disposable weak sauce. DC usually has the edge over Mavel when it comes to screen villains, but not in this instance, with one of the lamest bad guys ever to show on screen (I feel bad for Ciarán Hinds but it’s true). Also what a waste of Amy Adams who for some reason is credited third before 4 of the actual league members? Overall, not a bad movie, but not a very good one either.

My Rating 3/5

Offline ozzylogic

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • Coppertop
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:AM »
I am sincerely waiting for the 'Zack Snyder cut', if it will ever happen.
"I hate to disappoint you, but rubber lips are immune to your charms."

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2018, 07:09:PM »
Snyder has been posting a lot of behind-the-scenes images these last two weeks. And each one of them hints at so much that was amputated, including two entire characters and 3 backstories: Barry Allen and Iris + Arthur Curry and Vulko, played by Willem Dafoe + the entire Cyborg character arc from his football playing days.

The crew that was fired from the set after Snyder left (Junkie XL, Fabian Wagner, Clay Enos, David Brenner, etc) and other Snyder loyalists (Michael Wilkinson, Larry Fong); some of them have also been putting out cryptic messages too. Junkie XL actually tweeted to look out for something next week (thought it may be Tomb Raider related since he's scored that movie). There's even an anonymous VFX guy who leaked unfinished visual effects of a few deleted scenes (Flash saving Iris from a car-crash, Cyborg tracing the history of the motherbox using Augmented Reality).

It's true I don't follow a movie with so much detail usually, but it is surprising to me the amount of ground-swell support the Snyder Cut has from the *within* Hollywood. This isn't just fans going keyboard warrior. There are actual named artists and crew openly supporting what was Snyder's vision for this film and lamenting its loss.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2018, 11:22:PM »
If his "loss" from this film resulted in something as watchable but bad as Justice League while his inclusion would have possibly given us something as achingly terrible as BVS, I'd rather take the former.