Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Brothers, 2018)  (Read 724 times)

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Brothers, 2018)
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2018, 09:56:PM »
Not mourning, but he was AWOL, since he was branded a criminal by General Ross. Working in the shadows rather than in the open. The prequel comic showed him doing covert operations in war zones, etc to save hostages. The beard and dark uniform (it's his Cap Am costume, darkened) help him go incognito.

He was actually playing (or rather, channeling) Nomad, a disillusioned version of himself from the Comics.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2018, 12:20:AM »
Infinity War's Directors Break Down the Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy Scene | Vanity Fair

Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2018, 12:40:AM »
The ship was destroyed (we saw), and only half the people slaughtered (as per Thor, and as per Thanos' nature).
So the survivors were either let go on shuttles/escape pods (is that where the mayday message is coming from?), or Thanos let Heimdall teleport the others away.

This from Joe Russo at a Q&A at Iowa City High School a few days ago:

Student: One question that’s confusing fans online is the exact fate of the Asgardians at the beginning of the film- were there any survivors and what happened to the supporting characters of Ragnarok?

Russo: There certainly were survivors- Thor does say to the guardians that he slaughtered half his people- prior to the start of that scene escape ships were deployed for Asgardians- including Valkyrie

Student: Valkyrie lives?

Russo: Yes-

Student: What about Korg?

Russo: You’ll have to wait to see.

Full Q&A here: https://pastebin.com/YdLUxFJD
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline Rishi

• wm citizen
  • steven soderbergh
  • "They told me you're a man with True Grit"
Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Brothers, 2018)
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2018, 02:02:PM »
Just finished with a second viewing. Lot better this time especially after rewatching a few earlier Avengers films and remembering the background of each stone. Yeah, caught that bit about half of the Asgardians surviving. Valkyrie, Krog and Meek could return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:44:PM by Rishi »

Offline Rishi

• wm citizen
  • steven soderbergh
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2018, 02:03:PM »
Doc was definitely up to something there on Titan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rishi

• wm citizen
  • steven soderbergh
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2018, 12:58:PM »
Avengers: Endgame (2019)?

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2018, 03:54:PM »
So, a little thing I noticed:
Thanos and Gamora arrive at Vormir for the Soul Stone and make their way up the cliff. As soon as the wraith like being appears (that we later find out is the Red Skull), Thanos puts his left arm out in front of Gamora, in a protective gesture.

This little gesture is such a character moment. It is these little things to catch on multiple viewings that shows how genuine Thanos is and the details the makers went to, to ensure he isn't just a one-dimensional megalomaniac.

But that whole story line of Thanos and Gamora is to serve the purpose of him getting the soul stone. I didnt feel any connection between them, when she killed him in the alternate reality when he met the gatekeeper (benicio del toro WTF?) and she starts crying after killing him didnt feel authentic.

Even the Wanda and Vision love story bit didnt convince me. Infact it was the weakest part of the film.
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2018, 04:46:PM »
But that whole story line of Thanos and Gamora is to serve the purpose of him getting the soul stone. I didnt feel any connection between them, when she killed him in the alternate reality when he met the gatekeeper (benicio del toro WTF?) and she starts crying after killing him didnt feel authentic.

It worked for me. The first time I watched the movie and Gamora cried in that illusion-set Knowhere, I was genuinely connected. Thsi was a girl who hates and wants to kill her "father", but actually cries when she kills him. I thought of it as Stockholm syndrome, she actually felt for her tormentor. But the Throne room scene and the Soul Stone scene then solidified their relationship, a foster father-daughter relationship where the father really did care deeply and loved (in his flawed way), while the daughter hated her kidnapper but was close enough to him to be emotionally connected. Totally worked for me, man.

Btw, Benicio del Toro played The Collector in Thor 2's end-credit scene and in GotG1 too.

Even the Wanda and Vision love story bit didnt convince me. Infact it was the weakest part of the film.
Wanda and Vision... yeah, not a fan either. Civil War established them as a couple. I just took it at face value without letting it bother me much.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2018, 04:49:PM »
Avengers: Endgame (2019)?

It has floated around a bit on the internets, along with Avengers: Reassemble. I like Endgame more than Reassemble, for sure.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2018, 03:57:PM »
The last scene with Thanos watching the sunrise also shows just a bit of Thanos' upper arms, and his left arm looks much blacker than the right one. If this isn't a light/shadow effect, has the use of the Gauntlet actually injured him significantly?

Mangled or not, the powers of the stone are not restricted from use (as far as I know). It may be damaged from all the wrestling that was happening around it on Titan. Also, nothing I've ever read in the comics suggest the use of the gauntlet is damaging on the bearer. Just my two cents on this matter.

The Russo brothers have confirmed that the sheer force of power of using the Infinity Stones together damaged the gauntlet and Thanos' left arm. This is from their podcast episode from Happy Sad Confused with Josh Horowitz (iTunes / PlayerFM)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2018, 04:01:PM »
In that same podcast they also clarify what for me was an annoyance: Wanda's inconsistent accent in the movie.
As per the brothers, she is
 a) under training of Black Widow as a spy, and
 b) in hiding.

Which is why her accent fluctuates because she is hiding her original accent (to not be found out by people nearby) and practicing accents (to be a better spy).

What was annoying to me, is now awesome.

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2018, 01:45:PM »
In that same podcast they also clarify what for me was an annoyance: Wanda's inconsistent accent in the movie.
As per the brothers, she is
 a) under training of Black Widow as a spy, and
 b) in hiding.

Which is why her accent fluctuates because she is hiding her original accent (to not be found out by people nearby) and practicing accents (to be a better spy).

What was annoying to me, is now awesome.

That is a good save which I doubt they really thought off though.
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2018, 02:25:AM »
Some of these answers seem silly and made-up as after-thoughts that conveniently explain but don't fit. This is Avengers, not Blade Runner.

Oh wait....
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.