Author Topic: The Salesman [Forushande] (Asghar Farhadi, 2016)  (Read 429 times)

Offline madali

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
The Salesman [Forushande] (Asghar Farhadi, 2016)
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:47:PM »

The Salesman [Forushande] (Asghar Farhadi, 2016)

After Asghar Farhadi won his Oscar, every other movie in Iran seems to be like a bad copy of his. Not only have the styles of films become cliché, but the criticisms of them have started to become repetitive.

So, it’s impressive that the only person who doesn’t seem to be making Asghar Farhadi films is Asghar Farhadi. Before his Oscar winning “A Separation”, all his films seemed to follow the same formula. But when he hits gold with his “A Separation”, instead of digging in and trying to repeat his success, he actually tries to move away. His 2013 film, “The Past”, filmed outside of Iran wasn’t a success in my opinion, but with “The Salesman”, he is back in home territory, and is as excellent as the box office success made it out to be.

The film stars my favorite Iranian actor, Shahab Hosseini, and the excellent Taraneh Alidoosti (they worked together on my favorite Iranian TV series, “Shahrzad” and a previous Farhadi film). One day, seemingly out of the blue and at random, Shahab Hosseini finds out that his wife is in the hospital. She was taking a shower when she was suddenly attacked.

Rana (Taraneh Alidoosti) doesn’t want to get the police involved as she prefers to put the incident out of her mind rather than being forced, by the police investigation, to have to revisit the incident. However, Emad (Shahab Hosseini) doesn’t want to let it go. While, he is being constrained by his wife’s request not to involve the cops, he goes on his own personal investigation to find out what happened.

At the end of the film, my wife, myself, and my brother in law, had an interesting conversation and conflicting ideas on the righteousness of the motivation of the characters. To me, Emad’s actions were selfish in nature, because he was doing it for his own pride rather than for his wife, while the other two viewers disagreed with me, as they believed it was his duty to follow up on it. This is the brilliance of Farhadi, his ability to create complex characters that, we as the viewers, are unable to easily take sides.

This is the kind of film that will benefit from contemplation and discussion.

5/5
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:31:AM by shariqq »
I'd love to change the world / But I don't know what to do / So I'll leave it up to you

Offline madali

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
Re: The Salesman [Forushande] (Asghar Farhadi, 2016)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:00:PM »
Trailer:
I'd love to change the world / But I don't know what to do / So I'll leave it up to you

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:22:PM »
Man I was trying to find this film yesteday and couldnt find it anywhere. Farhadi has definitely raised the bar, his follow up to A Seperation was spectacular as well and it was in French. Did you watch this on the big screen?
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline madali

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 03:58:PM »
Couldn't see it in the big screen but I bought a downloadable version of it online. I don't remember if the downloaded version has subtitles, I'm at the office now, I'll check when I get home. Legally, from an Iranian site, it costs only 3 dhs (approx) for the 1080p version. 720 is maybe 1.8 dhs, and 240p is 1 dhs.

If there are subtitles, I can purchase it here any of you who wants it, and give you the download link.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 06:35:AM »
Couldn't see it in the big screen but I bought a downloadable version of it online. I don't remember if the downloaded version has subtitles, I'm at the office now, I'll check when I get home. Legally, from an Iranian site, it costs only 3 dhs (approx) for the 1080p version. 720 is maybe 1.8 dhs, and 240p is 1 dhs.

If there are subtitles, I can purchase it here any of you who wants it, and give you the download link.

That would be great. I am dying to see it and it's not available anywhere.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 11:28:AM »
If it does have subtitles, then hook me up too please.
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline madali

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 11:46:PM »
Sorry, checked, no subtitles, and can't find any subtitles online either to add separately.