Author Topic: Handmaiden (Chan-wook Park, 2016)  (Read 184 times)

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
Handmaiden (Chan-wook Park, 2016)
« on: January 11, 2017, 11:33:PM »

This year's obligatory "there's nothing wrong with homosexuality" film is from South Korea's impish Chan-wook Park, a director known for his trademark subversiveness, grisly violence and no holds barred approach to filmmaking. The story of a poor orphan girl who works as a handmaiden for a wealthy old man and his niece, the story unfolds with grace and beauty - its not nearly what it seems at first and there is plenty of double crossing including a very clever mid-way narrative change involving a disorienting shift in point of view. The trouble is the tasteless, exploitative lesbian sex that's borderline softcore and dominates much of the story, slowing it down and seemingly pointless. Understandably love eventually leads to sex, but do we need to see it in all its grimy details? Park seems to think so and you might too, just make sure you see this without the Mrs.

Rating: 3.5/5
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
Re: Handmaiden (Chan-wook Park, 2016)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:36:AM »
...just make sure you see this without the Mrs.

Should be easy enough -- I'll tell her I'm watching a new movie from the director of OldBoy. That'll keep her away ;)
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 11:33:AM »
Watched it last night and enjoyed it, he still makes slick films which are shot beautifully and this is no different. The Rashomon style story telling with his own twist works very well and  keeps the viewer hooked. I was not put off by the lesbian sex part of the film as it supported the story telling and it was basically just 2 scenes. A solid 4.5/5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:40:PM »
It's not a bad film and the key thing is the storytelling here - it's unique. But you can't deny that the third act meanders a bit compared to the first 2, especially the first. The performances were all fine and the direction was suitably sublime. But just those 2 scenes gave us more humping that I can handle in a film.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline Rishi

• wm citizen
  • steven soderbergh
  • "They told me you're a man with True Grit"
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 11:07:AM »
*** SPOILER ALERT ***

Watched it last night. Yeah, the love making scenes caught me unawares. I don't mean to be over-analysing things here but I think it was partly necessary considering Sook-he's surprise reaction to Hideko's expertise. Hideko initially comes across as a demure, timid sort. Even the last scene had me like, here we go again, but then when they reach for those metal balls you get the idea.