Author Topic: Stranger Things (Netflix, 2016 -)  (Read 200 times)

Offline PUP

• m. night shyamalan
  • Passive Until Provoked
    • Filmphoria
Stranger Things (Netflix, 2016 -)
« on: November 16, 2016, 08:40:PM »
I know there was a flurry of discussion and love for the series, but seriously...which film forum doesn't have Stranger Things?

And Kaytee, here you go...I don't even want to know what happens if you keep listening to this over and over...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:30:AM by PUP »
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
Re: Stranger Things (Netflix, 2016 -)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 11:36:AM »
The problem with Season 2 will be that I have not heard of any of the films they mention excrpt a couple.
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 12:14:PM »

The problem with Season 2 will be that I have not heard of any of the films they mention except a couple.

Ghostbusters is one of them.

TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 06:59:PM »
Whatta trailer, peeps! And that song!

Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 12:08:AM »
I really can't get enough of how incredibly brilliant that trailer is. In a week where we had the biggest tentpole superhero films release their trailers, this one topped all of them! Wow. Can't wait.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 01:16:PM »
Tongue-in-cheek conspiracy theory video :)

Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 02:20:PM »
After fizz mentioned to me that Stranger Things 2 isn't kid-friendly (for my 7-year old), I checked Parental Guidance, and found that the show goes towards MA (Mature Audience) level towards the end.
I checked with another friend who has watched the show, and he also agreed with fizz.

I'll start S2 in a day or two, once I finish Mindhunters, sans the kid.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 11:08:PM »

Stranger Things 2, as the title suggests, is less the second season of the nostalgia-inducing 80's set show and more of a....sequel. It builds on the premise of the first without really taking it into new territory. With the exception of a couple of new additions, the cast is largely the same and so is the threat (in a slightly different form). Thus the sequel curse seems to hit the show, especially early on, with its slow burn approach in re-introducing both the sleepy town of Dawkins and those lovely kids, fully well versed in all things pop-culture and ready to watch each others back. But once the storyline finds its groove, with the capture of cuddly, gooey Dart, who turns out to be more than what he seems at first, things pick up, with the last 2 episodes really bringing everything altogether (my favourite moment of the show is the much anticipated "reunion" at the end of the penultimate episode).

The Duffer brothers (shame about the name because they are anything but) really know how to create engaging dialogues, characters and situations and the references follow the shows evolution by aiming for bigger and more iconic sources (Ghostbusters, but also Cameron's Aliens along with some of the most notable songs from that era). A one episode detour to explore another character introduced during the opening but then left largely ignored has mixed results and in fact promises more than it can deliver but by the neatly package resolution, with its almost happy ending, no one will really find time to complain considering how binge-worthy the whole thing is.

Rating: 4/5
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:36:AM »
I haven't read Fizz's post above yet, coz I'm yet to finish the last 2 episodes of the season... but man was it going strong. But then S02E07 happened. I hope there's a BIG payoff to that episode in the final 2, coz it felt so out of place it was annoying!

And this after 2 episodes (S02E05-06) from... Andrew Stanton!

To quote Ozzy.. smh.

(rant over)

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 11:54:AM »
I actually enjoyed the second season a lot. It subverted many expectations and it kept everything that was good about the first season. There was a few wasted characters (the new girl and her bully brother), but I enjoyed the newly formed relationships especially between Dustin and Steve, and you gotta show some love to Bob Newby the unsung hero of this season. I even liked episode 7 that everyone hated. I think it gave Eleven more time to flesh out many character moments.

My Rating 4.5/5