Author Topic: Tips & Tricks  (Read 1274 times)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
Tips & Tricks
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:50:PM »
I'm sure we all have less-known sites/apps/etc we've discovered to make our IT-life easier. Post them here for the benefit of others.
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
Re: Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:53:PM »
http://savevideo.me/

A simple site with an empty URL box. Put in the link to any site with a flash-video (Youtube, Metacafe, DailyMotion, etc), and the site gives you a URL to right-click and save the video, mostly in MP4 format.

Especially useful when want to download a video/song from Youtube for your mobile device - it gives a link to save in multiple sizes (small to large).
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 01:12:PM »
Brilliant tip! There are songs and experimental films on YouTube which can now be possessed. Thanks.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 01:18:PM »
Brilliant tip! There are songs and experimental films on YouTube which can now be possessed. Thanks.

I thought about posting this because I was saving the YouTube videos you posted in the Best Music of 2011 thread (to listen to them while I drive), and guessed others may want to do the same...

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:26:PM »
Ha ha...it's going to be an interesting ride!

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:23:PM »
Renamer is a tool I use to rename a bunch of files quickly. There's a few other freewares like it, but I like this one because of the vast options/rules that you can use to rename files - but it doesn't have the best GUI (it's purely utilitarian).

So, either a bunch of photographs that I want renamed. Or folder full of MP3s that have a stupid ripper-name in them, or want to remove a numerical prefix from 40 files. Works like a charm.

I'm very anal about the way I save files - folders, naming, etc. This comes very handy.

Offline madali

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:08:PM »
I'm the same way. I use Ant Renamer, which is home to also Ant Movie Catalogue to catalogue my films!
I'd love to change the world / But I don't know what to do / So I'll leave it up to you

Offline animatedude

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 07:20:PM »
Wearethemovies mobile version anyone? Or app? :)
"There's this whole school of thought that movies are always so great when you're 10 or 12 years old, and the reality of it is, when you're 10 or 12 years old, you've only seen 100 stories. By the time you get to be 25, you've seen 3,000. You've seen every permutation of every dramatic arc. And when somebody takes that and stands it on its head, that can be exciting." David Fincher

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 10:49:PM »
If you access the forum via your mobile, it recognizes the web browser and presents the wap site. I've tried this through Nokia & Blackberry.

If you want to see what it looks like, here: http://archive.twelvethirtysix.com/forum/index.php?;wap2

Offline animatedude

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 12:37:AM »
If you access the forum via your mobile, it recognizes the web browser and presents the wap site. I've tried this through Nokia & Blackberry.

If you want to see what it looks like, here: http://archive.twelvethirtysix.com/forum/index.php?;wap2

well on the iPhone i don't get the mobile version and now you share it here i'm glad i don't!  :police:
"There's this whole school of thought that movies are always so great when you're 10 or 12 years old, and the reality of it is, when you're 10 or 12 years old, you've only seen 100 stories. By the time you get to be 25, you've seen 3,000. You've seen every permutation of every dramatic arc. And when somebody takes that and stands it on its head, that can be exciting." David Fincher

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 12:41:AM »
If the iPhone can't get the WM wap site, then it is the phone that sucks.

Offline animatedude

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 02:36:AM »
OK i'll admit it...i'm the least IT guy you will ever meet....i use my computer mainly to facebook or surf websites i even rarely chat these days...and sometimes i watch movies.

i SUCK miserably when it comes to using applications in general especially.....Office  :-[ i even remember back in the late 90's i applied for a course to learn office but i quit after just 1 hour...i get bored easily.

that being said i now want to take a course to learn Advanced Excel.....on Mac, any idea what training center in the gulf offer this?

and one more thing....any idea what's the best training center in Dubai for Marketing Communication courses?

Offline ozzylogic

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • Coppertop
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 09:29:AM »
If there's a New Horizons or Sites Power branch, check them out.
"I hate to disappoint you, but rubber lips are immune to your charms."

Offline animatedude

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 07:20:PM »
If there's a New Horizons or Sites Power branch, check them out.

i checked the other day New Horizons and it looks like they only offer courses for Excel on Mac in....zimbabwe! where the hell is that?!

Nobody offers courses for Excel on Mac which makes me feel more....alone, misfit and sad.

Offline ozzylogic

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • Coppertop
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 08:21:PM »
I believe your local Microsoft office might be able to guide you better. They always have Gold partners and Training partners, and since Excel is their product...
"I hate to disappoint you, but rubber lips are immune to your charms."