Author Topic: [Dubai] Cinemas in Dubai  (Read 12707 times)

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
Re: [Dubai] Cinemas in Dubai
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2012, 04:48:PM »
Good coverage Shariq, your coverage almost answered all questions, but is the screen run by one of the three major chains or independently?

By the way, according to the Dubai cinemas websites The Dark Knight Rises will be released for Eid, so your guess was spot on. I usually arrange a summer visit for fun and shopping to Dubai every year, and I don't think I am gonna change that this time around. I never travel in Eid uk-Fitr, but I am considering a weekend visit to Dubai after the Eid commotion to catch up with it, but it all depends on budget of course.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2012, 04:55:PM »
There was no branding or presence of Grand, Reel or Vox there. So can't say anything on who will run it yet. If it's a one-off screen only (without additional theaters coming up), I think it may be managed independently by Meydan itself.
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2012, 05:19:PM »
Excellent news, i always maintained my view that the IMAX in Battuta was way below standard and the seats are too close to the small screen. They are actually cheating by calling it IMAX, glad that finally it has competition.
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2012, 05:34:PM »
I agree now that I've looked at the dimensions. I've just dug up the sizes online, and made a small graphic to compare screen sizes. Added to the post. And it does show that while the Ibn Batuta IMAX screen is larger than the average and even VOX Max screen, it isn't the gigantic IMAX screen that the brand is famous for.
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2012, 06:01:PM »
Fuck this is huge! I hope they don't charge upsize price for the ticket ;)

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2012, 10:58:PM »
Shariq, excellent coverage, this should go up on the main site.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2012, 11:13:PM »
Thanks. I'll need to clean it up/edit it before posting it though. Hopefully on Sunday.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2012, 04:27:PM »
After some much-needed editing by Fizz, the IMAX article is now up on the main site. I've posted it on facebook too. Thanks, fizz!

Offline ozzylogic

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • Coppertop
"I hate to disappoint you, but rubber lips are immune to your charms."

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2012, 11:45:AM »
In Dubai, and wanna experience the new IMAX at Meydan? Excellent deal from Cobone:

Watch Mission Impossible 4 in IMAX at Meydan IMAX Theatre for AED 15 only, or for AED 30 get popcorn and a soft drink too.

Here: http://www.cobone.com/deals/dubai/meydan-max-mission-possible/9688

If only they chose a better movie (Avengers?), I'd go for it.

Offline ozzylogic

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • Coppertop
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2012, 02:40:PM »
Prometheus would be fantastic on it.
"I hate to disappoint you, but rubber lips are immune to your charms."

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2012, 02:49:PM »
Is ticket price still the same in Grand or Reel? Or did they hike it up the way Vox did??

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2012, 05:06:PM »
The only thing worse than watching MI4 is having to forever live with the memory that it was shot here.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2012, 05:23:PM »
Is ticket price still the same in Grand or Reel? Or did they hike it up the way Vox did??

All raised to match Vox.

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2012, 07:09:PM »
The only thing worse than watching MI4 is having to forever live with the memory that it was shot here.

I beg to differ. I watched twice in the cinema, and I really enjoyed so much even for the second time.