Author Topic: [Dubai] Cinemas in Dubai  (Read 12702 times)

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
Re: [Dubai] Cinemas in Dubai
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2011, 04:24:PM »
Per rule, I do *not* watch movies on Thursday & Friday evenings - unless it is a noisy film like Transformers or Pirates of the Caribbean. My first choice for big movies is to catch the Wednesday night midnight screening (that is, if I haven't seen it in the pre-release screening already).

Otherwise, it's weekday nights, shows that start after 10pm. Mostly quiet, and perfect for movies like Drive.

What you went through is occurs commonly in Dubai on weekends. It has been happening for years. And the cinema management does nothing about it, ever.

It is not like I had much choice, I am there for a few days. That being said, Reel Cinemas in Dubai Mall are much better even on weekends, nothing even came close to ruin my experience there, and I would rather watch anything there. My problem was that PA3 was only showing in Grand Cinemas, and have I known what would happen, I would have went to Ibn Battota instead. A self respecting management should do something about this subject. I know ushers are not paid enough to take crap from those bratty teens, but the higher management should address the issue which I am sure has came to their attention several times before, stop the screening and started throwing out people from theater and making an example of them.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2011, 04:57:PM »
...and lose revenue? All they care about is selling tickets, man.
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2011, 05:09:PM »
As Shariq has said, rule of thumb in Dubai is to avoid weekend shows - especially late night Thursday/Friday. Management can't do much about the bratty teens, especially if they represent a certain ethnic group indigenous to the region (sorry if I sound racist, but that's a fact here).

The Tree of Life screening I attended had a baby less than a year old with a family. In fact, there were many kids in attendance whose parents probably thought looking at the posters that the film was some new age Brady Bunch update starring Brad Pitt. I had no choice and could only attend the Friday evening show, but the kids soon left the show (after moaning and groaning a bit at the beginning) and after abt 15 mins of cooing, the baby slept throughout the film, as I'm sure did many adults!
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2011, 07:39:PM »
You are not being racist. The teens in my show happen to be local. I think teens are horrible everywhere, but they are brattier and more idiotic in our region.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2011, 07:45:PM »
You are not being racist. The teens in my show happen to be local in my showing. I think teens are horrible everywhere, but they are brattier and more idiotic in our region.

I rest my case.

As stated earlier, I've never had too many issues with people from any other region, because they know they might get in trouble...but not these guys!
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline animatedude

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2011, 03:12:AM »
haraaaam annoying teens in cinemas are so adorable!  ;D

why would anyone watch a Paranormal i don't know what movie anyway?
why would you watch a horror movie on a weekend late night show? they are the worst...

"ethnic group indigenous to the region" ? you mean indians? loool
"There's this whole school of thought that movies are always so great when you're 10 or 12 years old, and the reality of it is, when you're 10 or 12 years old, you've only seen 100 stories. By the time you get to be 25, you've seen 3,000. You've seen every permutation of every dramatic arc. And when somebody takes that and stands it on its head, that can be exciting." David Fincher

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2011, 09:53:AM »
"ethnic group indigenous to the region" ? you mean indians? loool

I said indigenous, not majority, but its not surprising to see you make the confusion.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2012, 12:21:AM »
Alamo Draft House is a cinema in Austin, Texas.

Someone in their cinema was texted (SMS'd) *twice*. Guess what they did?

We do not tolerate people that talk or text in the theater. In fact, before every film, we have several warnings on screen to prevent such happenings. Occasionally, someone doesn't follow the rules, and we do, in fact, kick their asses out of our theater. This video is an actual voicemail from a woman that was kicked out of one of our Austin theaters. Thanks, anonymous woman, for being awesome.

They played the below video in front of R-rated movies on weekends (06/06/11)

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2012, 09:53:AM »
LoL brilliant, now that takes balls and credit to Alamo Drafthouse for standing up to that biatch...
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline ozzylogic

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • Coppertop
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2012, 03:37:PM »
Wish they'd apply this here. Why have they stopped using signal jammers?
"I hate to disappoint you, but rubber lips are immune to your charms."

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2012, 05:55:PM »
I heard about the Alamo Draft House before and their rules. I also heard the message a few months ago.  I personally support them 100%.  I support their strict conduct rules, and enforcing them.  I also support adopting those rules. I support physical violence and even torturing those fuckers who ruin the experience of others in theatre. 

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2012, 02:36:PM »
The 3D projection at REEL CINEMAS (specifically, screen# 5) was pretty bad: more on it from the John Carter thread, quoted here to keep it relevant.

The 3D was appalling. I haven't seen worse 3D on-screen - it was so out-of-focus or wrongly done, that for a good few minutes, I watched it with one eye closed/covered. Eventually, like kaytee, I too walked out of the screening.

Yes, we were at the same screening - at Screen#5 of Reel Cinemas in The Dubai Mall.. Fizz stuck by it though, and he spoke to the distributor afterwards, who in turn blamed the projection for it - he said that the problem is with Reel Cinema's projection alignment.

He probably was not being just defensive of the post-conversion. I have always maintained that Reel @ The Dubai Mall has the *worst* 3D in all the cinemas I have watched 3D here.

I would love to re-experience this in 3D at Screen# 1 at Vox @ Mrdiff City Centre to be able to make a comparative judgement (they arguably have the best 3D projection here), but I'm not risking AED 60 for a movie with potentially bad 3D.

I did watch the movie eventually, in 3D, and in Vox Cinema's MAX screen at Mirdiff City Centre.

More surprising though is how bad the quality of 3D is in Reel - since I have seen the exact same movie in both cinemas, Reel is really messed-up in how they are showing 3D. In all honesty, I have decided to not go to Reel for 3D movies now onwards - why consciously walk into a cinema when I know it may spoil my movie experience?

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2012, 04:11:PM »

There's a new IMAX screen in Dubai, at Meydan in Nad Al Sheba.

I had a chance to experience it last evening at a "soft opening". The invite was to experience the made-for-IMAX 45-minute movie The Young Black Stallion

The screening, though, didn't unleash the full potential of the theater (The Young Black Stallion features some atrocious performances and little else!). The movie itself is nine years old, and looked out dated. It wasn't up to mark to what we have become used to of late in terms of visual and audio splendor. I would like to watch better &/or recent IMAX presentations to better judge how good the projection and sound quality are. Even so, what was evident was the size of the screen, and how much of the peripheral vision it occupies. After a few minutes into the movie, I removed my eye-glasses (I am only slightly myopic) , because the frame of my glasses would hinder what the naked eye could behold uninhibited. The movie projected on the entire screen is sight to behold, and come official opening, it is a venue that must be experienced for movies with *big* production values (The dark Knight Rises, perhaps?). There were some distractions while viewing the movie that looked like dirt on the screen and a blemish that would often appear in lighter areas like a giant moth -- but I am guessing these are to do with the age of the film reel rather than the screen or the projector. Further experiences at the venue can verify this.

The theater itself has 562 seats arranged in 14 rows (rows A to N) and I was seated on row K, close to the horizontal center. While this gave a good view of the entire screen, I had to crane my neck upwards to take stock of the magnitude of its height. Ideally, I would rather choose to sit anywhere between rows F to H for a more comfortable vantage point though I cannot yet say how the viewing experience would be from the higher rows. The key difference in the seating arrangement between IMAX Ibn Batuta and the IMAX at Meydan was the distance from screen-to-seat. Unlike Ibn Batuta, where the seats seem uncomfortably close to the screen, the seat-to-screen distance at Meydan was better and hence more comfortably viewable. This helped, especially since it did not require turning my head side-to-side as frequently, unless there was some action towards the edge of the screen that required my viewing attention. The entrance to the theater was from the sides, from a step below the lowest row. The seats flipped upwards when not occupied, probably to compensate for the limited leg room between two rows. The seats were adequately comfortable with drink holders between each seat.

The lobby and reception area to the theater aren't complete yet, but that is probably expected since the theater is not expected to open to the general public with popular releases until Eid-ul-Fitr, i.e., 3rd week of August this year. The access to the theatre is from a side entrance of the Meydan hotel. There's a basement level with plenty of parking available, visitors can then take escalators or an elevator to the 3rd floor to access the theater.

As of now, the complex is home to just one screen - the IMAX screen. There are plans to have more non-IMAX cinema screens added, but this came across as an off-handed comment that is possibly still under consideration. Emphasis though was given to the idea that the Meydan complex will be a family destination with enough to do for kids and adults.

With The Datk Knight Rises partially shot on IMAX (approx. 50 minutes of it), and scheduled for release on 20th July in the USA, it is highly likely that the movie may be delayed in U.A.E. (and the Middle East) due to Ramadan for an Eid release. If that happens, expect Meydan to take the opportunity for a grand opening tie-in event. Expect me to be in line with many others to watch Batman on the biggest screen in the Middle East.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:52:PM by shariqq »

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2012, 04:12:PM »
Fuck, a small type-up on may last evening's experience turned into an 800-word thesis!