Author Topic: [Dubai] Cinemas in Dubai  (Read 12710 times)

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
[Dubai] Cinemas in Dubai
« on: August 07, 2008, 02:01:PM »
This just in. They'll also have the CineStar equivalent of Goldclass, luxury seating with 'butler service.'

Quote from: Grand Cinemas

The real experience begins now at Grand Festival Cinemas
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:21:AM by shariqq »

Offline ozzylogic

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • Coppertop
Re: [Dubai] Cinemas in Dubai
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 06:33:PM »
I hope they don't increase ticket prices.
"I hate to disappoint you, but rubber lips are immune to your charms."

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:36:PM »
They tried once. They failed.

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 02:14:PM »
Have you been to Reel Cinemas at The Dubai Mall? It was opened (partially) just a wee bit ago.

Share your thoughts, experiences, rants or love right here -- especially talk about Picturehouse, the purported arthouse hall of Reel Cinemas, and what it has to offer, if anything.
--

Here's a writeup we did incorporating your reports from the ground:

Quote from: archive.twelvethirtysix.com
Is Reel Cinemas at The Dubai Mall the Real Deal? | 16 August 2009

Click here to read more

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 03:21:PM »
I'm experiencing this in a few hours. Report soon.
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:49:PM »
Reel Cinemas has a distinctly different ambience. When you walk through its wide, carpeted, leather chair bound corridors, to walk to the cinema screens or the washrooms, movie trailers play in the background. There is no elevator muzak running in the soundtrack, and this makes it seem like the people behind it mean serious business when it comes to films. The interiors are refreshingly different and the seats are comfortable and well spaced - in the cinema I attended, there was enough room to stretch your legs without the fear of hitting the back of the seat in front of you. The rest is standard cinema stuff - a popcorn stand that serves the staple menu for movie goers (though for every 2 tickets bought you get a coupon for a hotdog, only valid between 6-9pm). As of now, only the regular screens are open and the more exclusive Platinum Suites and the art house Picturehouse scheduled for later.

After the screening, I bumped into the anxious GM of Reel Cinemas, Gordon Kirk, and asked him when we could expect the opening of Picturehouse in particular. He said he expected this to happen sometime in late September or October (once Ramadan is comfortably out of the way). I also took the opportunity to enquire what kind of films we could expect, using 2001: A Space Odyssey as an example, but Kirk was not sure, citing many factors such as the availability of prints in the region, the stand of the censors and how well they are backed by their singaporean parents (Reel is essentially the Gulf franchise of the Cathay group). A look at Cathay's Picturehouse selection in Singapore however doesn't hold much hope - their present release is Mongol, a film that played in the UAE during November of 2008, and their upcoming release is the sci fi, arthouse darling Moon. Still, it leaves ample room for hope and anticipation of good things to come in the future.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 12:11:AM »
That sounds exciting Fizz, sadly I missed it by a hair. Dubai Mall is a great place to be at, and it is more chilled out than the frantic Mall of Emirates where all the kids hang out. I think now that the cinema is opened there, instead of hanging out in Ibn Batotta all the time when I am in Dubai, I would spend more time in the majestic Dubai Mall.

Offline madali

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 12:14:AM »
I still havent gone to Dubai Mall.
I'd love to change the world / But I don't know what to do / So I'll leave it up to you

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 12:59:AM »

Lol@Mad, you remind me of myself in Jeddah where everyone go to the new hotspot and I don't. While in Dubai I go nuts and try to go everywhere. It is just because in your city you know that you can visit the place anytime you want so you are not in a rush to do so, and boom a year passed and you haven't checked it out.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 01:07:AM »
I like the way the people deal with "space". They've allowed for long corridors with floors tiled at the edges, carpeted in between.

Also, the Box-office is at the ground level, and the screens on the upper level, accessible by escalators. After the movie, you exit back on the ground level. This is good practice to not mix the exiting and entering audiences. Even at the box office, each counter has two touch-screens, one facing you and one facing the attendants - so you get to see and select your seats before the tickets are printed.

Since it is new, the screens and the projections sparkled (not literally). We'll have to see how they maintain this over time. One this is assured: I'm watching my next few movies at Reel.

Btw, I saw a movie on Screen-9. This was as big as Snakeplex' screen# 4 or 5.
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 01:17:AM »

What's Snakeplex?

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 02:08:AM »

What's Snakeplex?

It's something a WM Forum tradition to call Grand Cineplex (Wafi City) cinema by this moniker. The nickname 'Snakeplex' stuck after a snake was reported by people to have been found crawling under the feet of cinemagoers, a few years ago! It is no urban legend! Here is a news article confirming it (thanks to Sandeep for fishing it out from internet archives!)

And now you know. Back to Reel Cinemas...

Offline ozzylogic

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • Coppertop
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 08:14:AM »

You're missing the fishies. And Taco Bell. And Kinokuniya. Apart from all that, it's the same as any other mall.
"I hate to disappoint you, but rubber lips are immune to your charms."

Offline sandeep

• wm citizen
  • louis malle
  • Look at life and films, differently...
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 04:29:PM »
The new cinema seems to have some good thought gone into design and easing the buying process, here is their website:

http://www.reelcinemas.ae/
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 05:42:PM »
I still don't understand why cinemas in Dubai don't have automatic buying machines installed outside cinema counters like every chain in the US has. All you have to do is pick the movie, the show and the seats, pay via cc and the tickets are printed. That shouldn't be too hard to do.

People who want to pay cash can go stand in the freaking long line?
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!