Author Topic: DIFF IV (Dubai International Film Festival, Dec 9-16, 2007)  (Read 2369 times)

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
Re: DIFF IV (Dubai International Film Festival, Dec 9-16, 2007)
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 11:35:PM »
The full DIFF schedule is out on PDF here.

I was hoping they'd bring in Zvyagintsev's "The Banishment," considering "The Return" played here years ago. But no such luck.

The films selected for this year's fest are actually pretty good. (Some hidden gems if you pay close attention.) There's considerable focus on Arab cinema and Emirati filmmaking, though that is to be expected.

I guess more than the movies, I look forward to seeing a million quotes and press releases from Al Jabbermouth.

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 01:47:PM »
Fizz, don't know if you're covering DIFF this year. But I'd love to read your daily updates, right here.

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 04:21:AM »
OK, so I catch 3 movies on the last day of DIFF, and here's a comment that has absolutely nothing to do with the movies themselves:

Fucking Dubai fest goers are inconsiderate pricks. Living in the US these past few months, I'd gotten so used to people and mobile phones staying silent throughout a movie, that I almost took it for granted -- until I saw my first film at the snazzy Dubai Film Festival 2007.

I always knew people here don't give a flying fuck about being sensitive and nice to fellow cinemageors, but I was particularly disappointed to see:

(1) DIFF Ushers showing people to their seats (with blinding torches), 40 minutes into the movie. Fucking 40 minutes! For the record this is the Ticket Policy, printed behind each stub: Patrons arriving less than 15 mins prior to scheduled start time will only be seated at the discretion of the DIFF theatre manager....To ensure respect for the filmmakers and guests in attendance, there will be NO seating after the start of the programme. But no one gave a shat.

(2) Esteemed DIFF Programmers who introduced each screening (Uma Da Cunha, who is clearly in love with her own voice, and some other dude at "Intimate Enemies," whose name I can't remember) did not care to remind the fashionable cell phone and bullshit-talking Dubians to pipe it down, out of just basic fucking respect for present filmmakers, if not for us jerks who paid AED 25 per ticket to see a fest movie with a 'live' soundtrack.

P.S. If anyone from DIFF is reading this, I hope you take this seriously. Because although your programming seems to have rocked, in my warped mind, circus monkeys could have done a better job at the working the Fest logistics. So, DIFF, I know you've never been 100% sincere about the whole thing, but I still say shame on you for not respecting Cinema and a paying audience you so zealously endorse.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 08:31:AM »
Ak...contrary to what you've just mentioned, *most* of the screenings that had someone introduce the film had a message to the audience asking them to turn off their mobile phones as courtesy to the person sitting next to them. This however didn't mean people complied, but it was a reminder nonetheless. This did not happen with every screening, because some films were not introduced, but those that were usually had this message. Also, I agree about ushers letting people in half way through the movie. Those were the guys who came down for a quick snooze. I actually heard one of the DJ's at the crappy Dubai FM 92 say it was more comfortable going to sleep in a cinema than at her own home. That was meant to be a funny remark.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:40:AM by fizz »
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 08:59:AM »
I wish I had your luck.

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 04:16:AM »
Welcome back AK ;)
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 09:35:AM »
Welcome back AK ;)

Thank you, Kaytee. I hope you are enjoying your travels in East coast US!

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 07:49:AM »
Enjoying you bet. Got hit with the snowstorm and now I'm in Atlantic City trying to rob the Trumpster.
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline sandeep

• wm citizen
  • louis malle
  • Look at life and films, differently...
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 03:22:PM »
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 03:59:PM »
It is not a bad movie, but as the very crass Uma Dakone mentioned...

Uma de Cunha is a cunt! And if she's reading this (I know for a fact that some DIFFsters read this board), I hope you know that when you introduce filmmakers, your job is to introduce and moderate if needed; not be their lackey, or use the opportunity for your own vulgar self-exhibitionism!

Cunt!

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 04:15:PM »
Sandeep, good set of reviews. I suggest you take the time to:

a) make individual threads for these films in the appropriate sections and
b) add them to (growing) list of films reviewed as part of DIFF 2007 HERE

If you only do part 'a' of the above, I will do 'b' myself.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline X

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 04:20:PM »
Sandeep is going on holiday tonight, so I volunteer to do part A.

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 04:32:PM »
Ak...excellent.

Part 'b' is done as well.