Author Topic: Joker (Todd Phillips, 2019)  (Read 435 times)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
Re: Joker (Todd Phillips, 2019)
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 12:27:PM »
On my second vieweing of Joker, I noticed one specific line that Arthur Fleck says at the Murray show.

Once he embraces his inner Joker completely, Arthur makes the Knock Knock joke about the woman's kid dying and people go "Oooo". Murray then says something similar to "Can't joke about death...". Arthur replies"Humour is subjective." And then he says this to the audience: "You guys decide what is right and what is wrong. Similarly, you decide what is funny and what is not".

When I heard this time, I realized that Fleck is now completely transformed into the Joker we know. He has no moral compass of right and wrong. It doesn't mean anything to him, it doesn't matter to him. All that matters to him is "Is it funny, or not?"
Whether it is to kill, maim, or to produce a gun with a BANG flag when he himself is being beaten up, it's not about winning or losing or getting caught or getting away with anything. It is just about being funny or not.
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
Re: Joker (Todd Phillips, 2019)
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 12:29:AM »
Here's an excellent, but short, talk on the movie by the director Todd Phillips after the DGA screening of the movie.

Two links to the same podcast episode:
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)