Author Topic: [Dubai] Cinemas in Dubai  (Read 12683 times)

Offline ayaa1977

• wm citizen
  • orson welles
Re: [Dubai] Cinemas in Dubai
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2013, 08:01:AM »
Thanks Dude! I guess they just updated these dates, because last I checked they did not have it. According to the current schedule, Les Miserables will open this weekend, Django Unchained on the 17th, and Zero Dark 30 on the 24th. All of these dates work for me. Let's hope they meanwhile they don't poll out Life of Pi and The Impossible. I already so Pi but I would really love to see it again. Also I see that Lincoln, Gangester Squad, and Hansel and Gretel are all expected to be released in the weeks to come, so I think my six days trip to Dubai will be really busy.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:13:AM by ayaa1977 »

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2016, 03:04:PM »
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline kaytee

• wm citizen
  • alfred hitchcock
  • TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!
« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2016, 04:04:PM »
They mean LieMax.

Didnt know they were changing things up at DFC.
TEJA mein hoon, Mark idhar hai !!

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2016, 04:16:PM »
I have a feeling this is Laser IMAX (ala MoE) rather than Digital IMAX (ala LieMAX ala IfB). Good thing is Mashreq gives 50% off.

I'll check it out when there's a movie there worth watching and report back.
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. That's - that's just an awful feeling. -- Elijah Price,  Unbreakable (2000)

Offline fizz

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2016, 06:36:AM »
When I was at festival city a couple of days ago, the cinema was under heavy scaffolding so I guess it must be for the makeover plus the new IMAX.
Narrative is the poison of cinema...There's nothing more beautiful than elusiveness in cinema.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2016, 10:10:PM »
IMAX @ DFC report:

1) It is Digital IMAX, like Ibn Batuta and unlike Mall of the Emirates' Laser IMAX.
2) Screen#1 has been retrofitted with IMAX. This means that:
  a) the seating is nice and spread, unlike the steep angle at Ibn Batuta
  b) the screen has been replaced with wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling canvas in the IMAX dimensions.
  c) 2 IMAX digital projectors have been installed, and the speakers have been replaced as per IMAX configuration (including 5 speakers behind the screen).
3) I sat in row#7. I reckon up to 2 rows higher (#6 and #5) will also be optimal seating. Anything higher or lower means you may be looking up or down at the center of the screen. Naturally, this is a subjective opinion.
4) Tickets cost AED 60 per seat, and Mashreq gives a 50% discount on it.

I watched a 3D movie, and the projection, sound (bass!) were crisp and crystal clear. The comfortable seating is a *huge* bonus here. It is a great option to have over the no-discount MoE IMAX or the crappy seat and distance at IfB.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2016, 10:23:AM »

Reel Cinemas offer: Buy one and get one free with Visa Checkout

Make sure to select the Visa Checkout button when you pay to redeem this offer.
A maximum of five complimentary tickets for each purchase.

Terms and Conditions:
    - Offer is available for standard 2D viewings everyday at The Dubai Mall.
    - A maximum of five complimentary tickets for each purchase
    - Promotion excludes viewings on UAE Public Holidays.
    - Consumer must select the Visa Checkout offer and complete the purchase using Visa Checkout in order to avail the discount.
    - Offer available while supplies last and as communicated on ticketing.reelcinemas.ae via pop-up.
    - Offer available on Reel Cinemas web, mobile web and Reel Cinemas mobile application.
    - The purchased ticket cannot be refunded, exchanged for cash or changed to another date/movie.
    - Offer is valid until September 30, 2016

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2016, 07:48:PM »
Digital IMAX (NOVO @ IfB and DFC) vs IMAX with Laser (VOX @ MoE).

Similarity:
- Both technologies use two projectors in to project the image on-screen. In 2D, the images from the two projectors are projected superimposed on each other with a half-pixel offset, thus increasing the screen-resolution.
- The output of the digital media server is modified real-time based on feedback from cameras and microphones in the auditorium, and therefore maintains alignment with sub-pixel accuracy

Difference in 2D:
Digital IMAX (NOVO) uses 2 x 2K-resolution projectors for a perceived resolution to approximately 2.9K.
IMAX with Laser (VOX) uses 2 x 4K-resolution projectors for a perceived resolution to more than 4K.

Difference in 3D:
Digital IMAX (NOVO) uses each 2K-resolution projector for the image of each eye, for a resolution of 2K.
IMAX with Laser (VOX) uses each 4K-resolution projector for the image of each eye, for a resolution of 4K.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2017, 11:22:AM »

Reel Cinemas offer: 50% discount on all movie tickets from Sunday to Wednesday with Etisalat

Offer has to be booked via Etisalat Marketplace.

Terms and Conditions:
    - Offer valid at The Dubai Mall & Dubai Marina Mall.
    - All movie tickets from Sunday to Wednesday.

Offline shariqq

• Administrator
  • alfred hitchcock
  • You never know...
    • Filmphoria
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2019, 10:27:AM »
The "Largest" Laser IMAX screen in UAE, the one in IMG Worlds, measures 24.4m wide and 13.8m high with a seating capacity for 360 guests.

I'll look for dimensions of the other large-format screens and post them here for comparison sake.